How to home-share in the City of Los Angeles

How to home-share in the City of Los Angeles

At long last, the City of Los Angeles’s home-sharing ordinance came into effect on July 1st, 2019. This provides a new legal framework for renters and property owners to rent out their primary residences in whole or in part on a short-term basis. Enforcement will begin on November 1st, 2019, at which point unregistered home-sharing becomes illegal.

Want to get started with home sharing on sites like Airbnb, HomeAway, and VRBO? Here’s what the registration process takes.

Documents You’ll Need

To prove that you’re you, provide scans or physical copies of a driver’s license, state ID card, or passport.

Home-sharing is limited to your primary residence, excluding other properties that you may own. If your personal identification included your primary residence’s address, you’ll only need one of the following kinds of documentation. Otherwise, you’ll need two.

Valid documents that can prove that the property you want to rent out is your primary residence are as follows: a voter registration card or status document, California vehicle registration certificate, health or vehicle insurance bill issued within the past 6 months, paycheck or pay stub issued within the past 6 months, a copy of a current property tax bill indicating a homeowner’s exemption, or a copy of a signed rental or lease agreement.

Remember – if your personal identification doesn’t show your primary residence’s address, you need to submit two of these documents as proof.

Finally, you’ll need to submit an e-signed declaration through the Department of City Planning’s home-sharing registration portal affirming that you will live at that residence for more than 6 months out of the year.

If you’re registering to home-share an Accessory Dwelling Unit for which the building application was submitted prior to 2017, you may be asked to provide additional documentation, such as a scanned and dated copy of that application.

Other boxes to check

Unfortunately, the bureaucratic hurdles don’t stop there.

If you’re not listing your rental opportunity exclusively on platforms that have pre-existing platform agreements with the city, you need to register with the Office of Finance to pay a Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) by getting a Transient Occupancy Residential Certificate.

If you are currently renting your own primary residence, you’ll need to also submit a notarized affidavit, signed by both parties, expressly giving permission for the renter to home-share. At their discretion, landlords can preemptively block home-sharing by submitting notice to the Department.

You need to provide up-to-date contact information for a local responsible person with 24/7/365 access to the property.

You’ll also need to identify all hosting platforms (like AirBNB) on which you’ll list the residence, including the specific URL for your listing. Home-sharers must provide the city notice within 24 hours of posting a listing.

Through the online registration portal, you will also have to submit mandatory e-signed declarations affirming that the host will provide a copy of the home-sharing code of guest conduct, that home-sharing will only occur in structures built for residential use, that rentals shall not exceed occupancy limits, that the rental unit provides and maintains working fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and carbon monoxide detectors, provides emergency exit information, and is in full compliance with fire, life, and safety codes, and that you have complied with all requirements and submitted authentic documents and information.

Seems like a lot, doesn’t it? But here’s some good news: you’re not alone. 

Host Permit’s team of experts are at your disposal to walk you through the application process, navigate the city’s bureaucracy on your behalf, and get you sharing your home as soon as possible.

Don’t let the red tape intimidate you. Pick up the phone and give us a call at (747) 344-7105 or visit to get started.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.